I pull out this quick and easy dish on busy nights when I’m exhausted. This hearty sausage and cabbage meal takes less than twenty minutes to prepare and is healthy, low-carb, and gluten-free. It’s one of my go-to weeknight meals.
This is one of my favorite recipes! It’s so quick and easy. Sign up below to get a whole week of easy low-carb recipes to go with this one!
Super Easy Sausage and Cabbage Dish
Polish sausage and cabbage iseasy and affordable. You can prepare this meal for less than $10!
Here’s all you’ll need:
- Turkey Kielbasa Sausage (cut into one-inch pieces)
- Garlic Cloves
- Cabbage (Pre-cut coleslaw mix is easiest)
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Spicy Brown Mustard or Stone Ground Mustard
Step One: Bacon and Sausage
I fry the bacon first so that you can use those awesome drippings for the rest of the meal.
Fry it till it’s crispy, then remove. Then, cook the sausage in the same pan and remove it when it’s crispy.
Step Two: Onions and Garlic
Next, you will carmelize the onions and garlic. Don’t drain the fat from the pan. Cooking the vegetables in the drippings will make them taste so good.
When the onions are carmelized they will turn a brown caramel color, and they will begin to have a sweet flavor.
Step Three: Cabbage
Once the onions are caramelized, add the cabbage, vinegar, and mustard to the pan. You do not have to remove the onion mixture.
The cabbage should cook very quickly, especially if you buy the thinly sliced strips intended for cole slaw.
The pre-cut cabbage saves a lot o time, but if you prefer to buy the head and cut it yourself, that is absolutely fine.
I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I do!
- In large deep skillet, fry bacon until crispy and remove from pan.
- Crumble bacon.
- In the drippings from the bacon, fry the sausage until crispy and remove.
- In the same pan with the drippings, add onions and garlic and saute until caramelized.
- Add, cabbage, mustard, and rice wine vinegar and cook until tender.
- Add the bacon and sausage back into pan, stir together, and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 430 Total Fat 33g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 21g Cholesterol 73mg Sodium 1119mg Carbohydrates 19g Fiber 4g Sugar 10g Protein 17g
If you love this recipe, you’ll love our easy low-carb desserts.